Life Is So Good!
'Life is so good!' were the last words by Don Corleone in 'The Godfather'. This small sentence in itself is so true.
Bus trips are fun and a great teacher in my case. It has just taught me numerous lessons on my way to Indore. Something that no book teaches, something one gains by experience and mistakes. Today was no different; the bus trip had something new to teach me. It’s been about a week (or perhaps, more) since I'm reading this book, "The Practice of Management" by Peter F. Drucker, the father of modern management. I'm new to the management issues and I admit that only the 80% portion of what I read is what I can thoroughly understand, the rest seems very technical, hard to understand at this stage. But there are numerous aspects of management that this book introduced me to, in practical sense. I mostly read this book in PT library or in the bus amidst the trip to Indore.
When I was done with some 6-7 pages today in the bus, the man seated beside me on the seat asked me if I was doing MBA or preparing for it. This man looked like he was in his 30s, wasn't very well dressed, and the way he asked me he seemed like just another villager like many others in the bus. I replied, "I'm preparing for MBA entrance". To my surprise he knew everything about MBA entrance, the phases, all about the GDs and PIs. He asked me what I was doing. I replied, "CSE". He then started talking about Engineering and its value in the current days, and making a comparison with the management jobs in the current scenario both in the private and the public sector, and a striking comparison between such jobs in other states and my own state MP. With a barrage of questions and thoughts being discussed I had to close my book. The only thing that surprised me was such a simple man dressed in such simple clothes, who had an accent of like what many villagers speak here, knew and talked about things I never expected out of him. I the asked him about the work and the manufacturing done in the industry he worked for. He spoke like he was on some low post. But the things he told me about their exports and the trends in the company were worth gaining. It was the experience which was speaking. And I realized, foolish I was and foolish are those who judge people by their mere appearance or the way they speak or talk.
Another example is of an IIM pass out that addressed us at the GK lecture last year. We all were surprised to see that guy - how simple was he dressed. Like if you ever were walking down the street and you suddenly met this guy midst the way, you could never guess he's an intellectual - an IIM pass out. And the way he addressed us, that was so inspiring, I still remember that lecture of 4 pillars for success. I never thought of such things before, but someone very rightly said you learn more from mistakes than successes. Its too bad to think ourselves as the most intelligent one amidst a group of people, you never know there's someone else with a big brain in - even if you're standing amongst villagers of some rural undeveloped area where you don't think you'll ever find an intellectual.
Somehow the day was well. I turned 20 today. I'm glad to have good friends that wished me all day right from 12 last night. Thanks! You kept the cell ringing. I had two choices today - to celebrate the day with my parents or with friends. I chose the former thinking what if the joining letter comes early next year and I don't get a chance to celebrate the day next year with my parents. It was fun - the lunch in the afternoon with relatives and cousins, and friends.
Some people reminded me that even if I'm 20 now, I am still like a kid to them. Oh yes I am! I had a bash at the CCD here with some of my finest friends late at around 9:30 PM and then I brought Pizzas home for celebration with my family again at late night. And tomorrow, it’s another bash for the whole class at RP. Such a great family, such great friends and so nice moments, and lessons, what else do I need?
Life is no doubt, so good! :)
Bus trips are fun and a great teacher in my case. It has just taught me numerous lessons on my way to Indore. Something that no book teaches, something one gains by experience and mistakes. Today was no different; the bus trip had something new to teach me. It’s been about a week (or perhaps, more) since I'm reading this book, "The Practice of Management" by Peter F. Drucker, the father of modern management. I'm new to the management issues and I admit that only the 80% portion of what I read is what I can thoroughly understand, the rest seems very technical, hard to understand at this stage. But there are numerous aspects of management that this book introduced me to, in practical sense. I mostly read this book in PT library or in the bus amidst the trip to Indore.
When I was done with some 6-7 pages today in the bus, the man seated beside me on the seat asked me if I was doing MBA or preparing for it. This man looked like he was in his 30s, wasn't very well dressed, and the way he asked me he seemed like just another villager like many others in the bus. I replied, "I'm preparing for MBA entrance". To my surprise he knew everything about MBA entrance, the phases, all about the GDs and PIs. He asked me what I was doing. I replied, "CSE". He then started talking about Engineering and its value in the current days, and making a comparison with the management jobs in the current scenario both in the private and the public sector, and a striking comparison between such jobs in other states and my own state MP. With a barrage of questions and thoughts being discussed I had to close my book. The only thing that surprised me was such a simple man dressed in such simple clothes, who had an accent of like what many villagers speak here, knew and talked about things I never expected out of him. I the asked him about the work and the manufacturing done in the industry he worked for. He spoke like he was on some low post. But the things he told me about their exports and the trends in the company were worth gaining. It was the experience which was speaking. And I realized, foolish I was and foolish are those who judge people by their mere appearance or the way they speak or talk.
Another example is of an IIM pass out that addressed us at the GK lecture last year. We all were surprised to see that guy - how simple was he dressed. Like if you ever were walking down the street and you suddenly met this guy midst the way, you could never guess he's an intellectual - an IIM pass out. And the way he addressed us, that was so inspiring, I still remember that lecture of 4 pillars for success. I never thought of such things before, but someone very rightly said you learn more from mistakes than successes. Its too bad to think ourselves as the most intelligent one amidst a group of people, you never know there's someone else with a big brain in - even if you're standing amongst villagers of some rural undeveloped area where you don't think you'll ever find an intellectual.
Somehow the day was well. I turned 20 today. I'm glad to have good friends that wished me all day right from 12 last night. Thanks! You kept the cell ringing. I had two choices today - to celebrate the day with my parents or with friends. I chose the former thinking what if the joining letter comes early next year and I don't get a chance to celebrate the day next year with my parents. It was fun - the lunch in the afternoon with relatives and cousins, and friends.
Some people reminded me that even if I'm 20 now, I am still like a kid to them. Oh yes I am! I had a bash at the CCD here with some of my finest friends late at around 9:30 PM and then I brought Pizzas home for celebration with my family again at late night. And tomorrow, it’s another bash for the whole class at RP. Such a great family, such great friends and so nice moments, and lessons, what else do I need?
Life is no doubt, so good! :)
--------------------------------------
Word of the Day:
incumbent
Pronunciation: in-kum'bunt
—adj.
- holding an indicated position, role, office, etc., currently: the incumbent officers of the club.
- obligatory (often fol. by on or upon): a duty incumbent upon me.
- Archaic. resting, lying, leaning, or pressing on something: incumbent upon the cool grass.
—n.
- the holder of an office: The incumbent was challenged by a fusion candidate.
- Brit. a person who holds an ecclesiastical benefice.
Synonyms:
- -n: incumbent, officeholder, official, functionary
- -adj: incumbent, superjacent (vs. subjacent)
Usage: lying or leaning on something else; "an incumbent geological formation"
3 Comments:
At such times the line which says it all is "LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL" and have a wonderful time and God blessu with many more smiles and joy in life
hey..
yeah i totally agree with you...we should nt judge ppl by their appearances...even i had similar incidents wid me many times..
and yeah life is good...and our frinds, family make it worth living every moment!!
"foolish are those who judge people by their mere appearance or the way they speak or talk."
Couldn't agree more! Really nice post. Your bus journeys do seem to be a great experience for you! I remember the last time I posted here (before I got sucked into the computerlessness of my life in Bombay), you wrote about the flight of imagination while on a bus to Indore :)
Maaan, my journeys are never half as fun/inspiring. Damn.
Coming to your post, yeah - probably the biggest mistake you can make while assessing a person is to go by their what they wear & how they look, rather than what they say & how they think. I've jumped to conclusions myself sometimes and believe me, the reality check I got was pretty much what I deserved for doing so!
Nice to know you had a great birthday :)
Mine's tomorrow, woo!
Post a Comment
<< Home